Saturday, November 27, 2010
The Video Gamer's Day Has Come
Remember the grief your mother used to give you for spending too much time on all of those mindless video games? Well, it turns out you may have inadvertently been learning some futuristic job skills. I'm referring to the evolving world of robotic warfare. Check out the article in the WSJ: War Machines: Recruiting Robots for Combat. I used to enjoy watching those TV shows where people would build their own robots equipped with axes, saws or any other device capable of inflicting destruction on one's opponent. It was like the Ultimate Fighting Championships for intelligent people, or those who got beat up by the ultimate fighters in high school. Now, the government is creating their own robots, albeit with machine guns and grenade launchers replacing the axe or circular saw. This sounds like a good idea in regards to saving soldiers' lives, but I would imagine the economic cost for robots versus soldiers will be greater. Likewise, I would think the robots would eliminate much of the need to employ humans. This technology may raise our deficit and eliminate jobs. I'm sure these topics will not be highlighted in the press releases. I'm off to make sure my Roomba is not plotting a coup against me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment