Sunday, November 28, 2010
Tis The Season
Our family has kicked Christmas shopping into high gear this week. I find that I am often asked what we will buy our son, who will be 10 months-old during Christmas. My usual response is "not much", since I firmly believe in being cheap for the holidays when your child is too young to know the difference between an X-box and a cardboard box. Nonetheless, I came across an interesting article in the WSJ regarding starting your child in investing as a gift and a means of financial education. Here is the link: How to Give Children the Gift of Investing. At first glance, I thought the idea of buying your kid stocks and bonds for Christmas was pretty lame. However, after some thought, I am coming around to the idea. Prior to taking this BUS 501 class, I literally knew practically nothing when it came to finance. I knew the terms stocks and bonds, but had no idea what the difference was other than I was pretty sure bonds were safer for some unknown reason. Yet, with this scarcity of knowledge I have purchased a home, acquired a credit card and started saving for retirement. I'm lucky I have not put myself in financial ruin with my blind pursuits. Maybe by introducing finance and investment at an early age to my kids, I can set them up for an easier road and more future success than I have had.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment