Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Going Green with a Little Noise Pollution

Today's Wall Street Journal (yes, I read WSJ quite a bit) features a story about Sun Chips ditching their attempts to "go green" after numerous complaints from their customers.  Here's the link: Sun Chips Bag to Lose its Crunch.  In summary, Sun Chips created chip packaging that was advertised as biodegradable.  On the surface, this sounds like a good idea.  Yet, as a lover of the Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips, I can tell you the new earth-friendly bag has one giant drawback.  It's loud.  I mean really loud.  So, unfortunately every time a consumer opens the bag of their favorite snack everyone within a half mile can hear the loud crinkle of them digging into their chips.  I have no idea who was in the marketing meeting when this idea came up, but a rational person would think that someone might have raised the concern over the obnoxious sound of the bag.  When eating these chips, opening the bag is like making an announcement to your friends and family that you are just too gluttonous to put your chips down.  They may even think a bear broke into your kitchen and is destroying your home in an effort to satisfy its insatiable hunger.  This is a classic example of an idea that is good on paper but never should have made it to production.

No comments:

Post a Comment